Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wave Board Test

My last trip to Punta San Carlos in Oct 2011 I sailed a bunch of boards. I rode most of the quatro board range (Quad KT 83, Quad LS 85, 84 Twin and Quad LS 75) plus a goya quad 84. It was an interesting experience and helped me to better understand what I am looking for in good down the line wave sailing conditions.

I took the LS 75 out on a waist high 4.2 day. I actually own one of these but have hardly sailed it. There is no doubt it rips with a super nice drivy bottom turn and cut back. However, its smaller size requires more energy when slogging (I am about 80kg) and I seem to get a lot more waves with a bigger board.

Quatro LS 75 (Clark Merritt photos):
The 84 Twin was a bit of a disappointment considering it's reviews. I expected it to be fast and loose (fast rocker and twin fins..) but it actually felt kind of sticky when accelerating on the wave and the other boards turned so much nicer. Saying that, it planed up nicely when heading out and it was the only board I managed to vulcan.

Waiting to go on the 84 Twin:

The Goya felt a size bigger than the other boards. It did everything very well but it didn't 'feel' exciting enough. Not to sound arrogant but I had the impression the board would be perfect for an intermediate wave sailor.

The LS 85 was nice. I spent most of the week riding it. Definitely my favourite until I stepped on the KT 83:

Wowzers!! Me likey! It has bottom turn drive and top turns like the LS75 but the extra size helps keep your speed for more radical turns. It also seemed to go from zero to full speed instantly. I want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment