Sunday, May 13, 2012

Goiter Technique

Lets get the semantics over first, or is it pedantics? This is a ponch. A Goiter is a ponch that is done on the wave. For it to count you need to land it back on the wave, otherwise it is a Goiter off the back of the wave. Got it?

Oh, and for the record I can't Goiter (yet). Or ponch for that matter. I did however get some good Goiter tips off Tyson and Wyatt in Punta San Carlos that led me to start trying them with results like this:

And the revelation was that it actually seemed doable, at least the off the back of the wave version. Here is the technique:

  • Find side-off wave sailing conditions
  • Go as fast as possible down the line
  • Do a shallow bottom turn, staying relatively high up the wave
  • As you reach the lip of the wave throw the sail down and to windward
  • Wyatts tip was to hold the toeside carve which is the key to generating the rotation. The toeside carve opposes the rig throw until the board releases from the wave. After that there is a super fun and fast cartwheel style rotation
  • If done with enough vigour, you will rotate all the way round to a tail first landing, pull the sail up and out of the water and sail away
Piece of cake.

Unfortunately I wasn't getting all the way round and landed on the rail of the board straining both my ankles which put a stop to my attempts. A couple of weeks ago I tried one at Oleander and landed on the boom, straining my shoulder... So yeah... Errmmm... Just get out there and go for it!! Woo hoo!

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty bad-ass lucky that you found side-off wave sailing conditions at Oleander a couple of weeks ago!

    But seriously, did you try it on the way in or on the way at this on-shore venue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're not trying to lull me into a false sense of seriousness UKGirl?

    I tried it on the way in off the back of the steep chop that kicks up near the inside. The wind was quite East which helped too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike, I was Googling for goiter tips and landed here. I was inspired to start thinking of trying it after seeing you get those back of the wave goiters in Baja. Glad Clark caught it -- that's a great shot. I can still hear Wyatt chanting "goiter! goiter!" First, I've got to get my basic top turn in shape, though. Take care, Gunnar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gunnar! Good to hear from you. How is Santa Cruz? We have been talking about a fall trip to PSC. I'm missing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still loving SC. The American Windsurfing Tour was at Waddell a couple of weeks ago. Watching the pros tear it up was jaw dropping. Really nice people, too. Another PSC trip... tempting. :)

    ReplyDelete