Saturday, June 21, 2014

AWT Virgin

My heart beat was hammering. Sound muffled. My vision narrowed as though I were watching life though a long black tunnel. The green flag went up. I blew my outside gybe and found myself hyperventilating.

"Mike!! Get a grip!" I caught a wave, got a couple of weak turns. Sound slowly returned. I water started out of a back slapping forward. The tunnel vision started to recede. I got a good lip crack. I started to smile. A couple more fun backside/frontside combo wave rides and the red flag went up. "Already!!?"  The fastest and one of the most bizarre 12 minutes of my life.

Waiting for the green flag - pic off facebook American Windsurfing Tour

I have wanted to do the AWT for a while but there was always an excuse. Getting the season pass 'for Christmas' I found myself committed. With no wind in Santa Cruz I headed straight to Pistol River for some top notch sailing and then the competition.
 
So, how was the competition? It was a pretty awesome experience. The AWT team are all friendly and welcoming. I met lots of like minded wave sailors and got to see the pros ripping it up.

Should you do it? If you have a passion for wave sailing and want to improve, then it is definitely for you. I occassionally forward in starboard tack waves, when the moon is aligned, the ramp is steep but not too steep, I'm perfectly powered, the water is blue etc. And yet I busted a bunch in the competition. I don't recall the last time I took a hand off or tried a table top but there I was! Throwing one handed jumps and table top attempts.

Would I do it again? For sure. A combo family trip to Peru would be amazing and I have always wanted to check out Hatteras. Unfortunately, unless I can work some magic it doesn't too look good for the rest of this year. So, roll on 2015!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all your helping hands with the event Mike!! I hope plans change for you and you can join us on another event this year! It was great to have you. Cheers!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete