Monday, March 25, 2013

Spot X

"Hey Mike, I was thinking we should head south tomorrow. We can find sideshore wind and the waves will be bigger." Guillaume is always super motivated.
8:45am: Stocked up with Red Bulls, a full tank of gas, La Palma breakfast tacos and 96.5 The Beach we were set. Stopping off at Bob Hall, it was 30mph, side off and ankle high. Time to head south!

Any trip like this you can't help but second guess your choices. Should we have sailed Packery or Port A? Does it look windy? Do you think the current will be too strong? Is that a shark fin? The further south we went, the bigger the waves and as the sun came out the wind started to crank. Finally we turned up at Spot X. Here it is (give or take 5 miles. A to B is 15 miles):

 
Guillaume was rigged and ready first on 4.5. I joined him on 4.8. As I launched I looked up to see him boost a super nice backie attempt. "Yes. Its ON!!!". I didn't last long on 4.8, and quickly rigged down to 4.4. The waves were solid head high. Brown and meaty. The current was also ripping, the only real negative. I spent a little time getting worked after trying to hit one of those lips and quickly found myself quite a ways downwind.

Towards the end of the session Gui got out the camcorder. I really wanted to get a big forward on camera, so proceeded to crash horribly for the camera. It's interesting to watch as it shows exactly how not to loop. Maybe I will blog about that sometime.

So yeah. Awesome day. Awesome call. To make it all the better we stopped off at Port A on the way home and it was totally flat. Next time a front rolls through with no real waves to speak of, I know where to go. And if it's too offshore or the waves are too small for you, just drive another 10 to 15 miles.

1 comment: