Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Experiment

Here it is:
Some background on how this beauty ended up sitting on my living room floor. I think everyone needs a two wave board quiver...don't they? One that is fast and loose for side-on and small wave days (my twin 84). Plus a second for dedicated down the line conditions in head high plus conditions. Previously my Quatro LS75 filled the second spot, but it was a bit small for slog and ride and the KT83 was my dream replacement.

Well I sold the 75 recently and started thinking about it's replacement and the KT was the obvious choice. I did have some reservations about the KT though. I had to find a used one, as I didn't expect to sail it a huge amount. Plus I felt like I wanted a shorter and wider version of the KT. Don't ask my why! I just did.

I asked the opinion of Alex, former Texas windsurfer, now residing on maui. And he was like "I'll sell you my Ho'okipa board". And I was like "Deal!". Here are the specs:
Click on it to see them!
It's interesting to compare it to the Twin which is already a pretty radical design. The length is a full 3 inches shorter than the twin, but the mast track and straps are simultaneously moved back 3 to 4 inches. It has more rocker, less finnage and the orientation of the front footstraps is clearly for surfing not blasting. It is very light (Alex said don't jump it when I rode it in the spring!) and it is wider but much tinner in the tail:
 
Tail thickness

Why did I call it "The Experiment"? As mentioned above, I did ride it at Ho'okipa briefly in the spring and it was super technical and difficult to sail! You don't want to be figuring out a board your first day at Ho'okipa in the middle of logo high waves and the best windsurfers in the world. So I don't actually know if it will work for me. Maybe I'm not ready for it yet. But that's half the fun. The experiment. The journey.  So yeah. I'm psyched. Just need some wind and good waves to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment