Saturday, March 3, 2012

Worst Day Ever?

I had a super fun morning session at East Beach today, well powered on 5.3 with nice ramps.

Today was nothing like the last time I sailed there during Hurricane Irene. That day I got off work at 4pm and wrestled with the traffic for two hours, finally rolling up to the beach at 6. There was no-one else in sight, the wind was howling side shore, the current was ripping and the waves were breaking a long way out, much further than I had ever seen before.

Erring on the 'safe' side I rigged 5.3 to help me with the current. First run out and totally overpowered I made it past the first two sandbars. The second break the wave was breaking top to bottom and pretty heavy. It was exciting, but the logical part of my brain told me I shouldn't be out here on my own.

Left side of brain - I really do not want to fall out here. I'm gonna wait for a nice swell to carefully gybe on
Right side of brain - Sure, if I must...
Left - There is one. Gently does it
Right - Check out that ramp!!
Left - Whaa...?
Right - Bear away!
Left - Are you mad?
Right - LOOP!!
Left - oh not again...
Right - WOO HOO!!!!

CRACK!! My boom head broke on landing. A LONG way out, unable to fix my boom and still in the breaking waves I decided to swim in with my gear rigged. It was going OK until the second sandbar where I got sucked into a meaty one and lost my gear. When I found it again my mast was broken and sail in tatters. As I got close to the beach I could see the beach houses speeding past as the current ripped me downwind. 20ft from the beach I touched bottom but couldn't stand up the current was so strong. Finally... I dragged myself and destroyed kit onto the beach at least a mile downwind of my launch. By the time I got back to the truck it was almost dark.

Worst Day Ever?
Left hand side of brain - $1000 in equipment breakage for 3 minutes of sailing, of course...
Right interrupting - ...not! That loop was sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment