Thursday, May 11, 2017

Ten Minutes with Jem Hall

Hanging at Magic Fun in Moulay with the clinic crew. We decided to give the enigma that is Jem HallTM a good hard grilling with the goal of finding out his deepest, darkest secrets. Below is what we unearthed. Photo credit: Nick Jones

Clinic Crew From L to R: Rachel, Arve, James, Mike, Bastiaan, Mark, Enigma, Laurence, Jacob, Tom, Bjorn, Kevin, Gøril, Gary (Martin is missing in action after tweaking his ankle back looping)
James - how did you first get into windsurfing?
My best friend’s Dad taught my two best mates and I to windsurf in Southsea which started a life long passion and journey. 

Tom - Top 5 most used phrases on a clinic?
Get down James Brown
Back hand down the boom 
Toughen up Princess
Drive forward and bend the ankles 
Jump more / do more forwards!
(Jem played this one way too safe and PC. My kids favorite from PSC was "Woohoo! Living the f***ing dream" - Sorry Jem! :) Mike)

Jacob - what gives you the most joy doing your job?
Seeing people improve and begin the powerful action of becoming better self coaches too!

Mark - Who is better in bed? Southsea Tony or Darren (two of Jems best friends from Portsmouth)?
Mark, my good man, you are best qualified to answer this :) 
Don’t put this in Mike! (Oopsy! Haha ;) - Mike)

Jacob - When did your job last make you cry?
Frustration at a particularly difficult time for travel logistics. I hold it together when coaching, in the main, to be of the best support to my rippers. 

Gøril - where and when would you like to retire?
Oslo with my family and after 60 (15 more years). I have heaps of coaching and working with amazing people to go. 

Mike - do you rotate undies or do laundry on your 3 week clinics?
Rotate and clean them. I have too many fins in my luggage to carry enough pants to not wash them!

Laurence - if you could have a different personality trait, what would it be?
It sounds like I already have enough of it but I would actually like to be a bit more competitive. 

Arve - will you let your daughter get in to kite surfing?
I will look to steer her away from this sport and into sports that require more challenges. 

Jacob - Favorite sailing location?
Punta San Carlos, Baja, Mexico. Amazing adventure, world class wavesailing, SUP and hospitality. 

Bastiaan - will you still be windsurfing in 10 years?
Yes and I will be still be looking to get you jumping even higher and hitting the lip more.

Kevin - if you were forced to stop windsurfing from injury, would you become a life coach instead?
Yes, this area interests me a lot as I am very into personal development and love to see people move forward and help themselves to get the very best out of them.

Laurence - What is the most memorable incident whilst on a clinic?
There really are too many, and so many amazing ones so i will take one of the first to pop into my head now and that is when a dutch intermediate was so happy with his improvement that he picked me up, bear hugged me and then put me down and kissed me on the forehead. Blew me away and it was such a genuine sharing of happiness and emotion that it really touched me. 

Gary - how did you enjoy learning to kite and what did you take from it?
I enjoyed the journey of learning a new sport, but it was not for me and so I could not give it the passion I apply to so many other areas of life. I took from it that it is good to learn new things and take a step back and know what my people feel when they are learning and developing. I am now enjoying learning to ski, both downhill and cross country.

Bjorn - if you were to go on someone else’s clinic, who's would you go on, where and why?
Colin Dixons, as I enjoy sailing with him, he is a fun guy and I feel he would have a different approach to getting me to improve and charge. 

What would you be if you weren't a windsurfing coach?
Some sort of sports coach, or a life coach or back to my roots and being a Physical Education teacher. 

Laurence - top tip for doing a push loop? 
Speed, right ramp and be committed and best technical tip is to look past the mast tip, pull on mast hand and throw your legs over your head.

Rachel - you spend so much time in the sun. How do you keep your skin looking so youthful?
Why thanks for that, simple really, use a scrubber to take off the dead skin, moisturize when possible, use high SPF, get a hat and shades whenever you can, eat well and be happy. I’m a new dad so I can’t say sleep well :) 

Martin - what is your biggest regret?
Sorry mate, no regrets, I take it all, good and bad and all have been part of the journey. 

Thanks for the questions, really enjoyed contemplating my answers and getting them across here. 

Thanks too for all being such a fun and focussed group, stoked to share Magical Moulay with you. 

Love and respect, 
Coach 

Thanks for reading! If interested in what it is like to do a Jem Hall Moulay clinic check out this post from last year: moulayyyyyyyy-jem-hall-clinic

No comments:

Post a Comment