Sunday, December 1, 2013

Icaraizinho

The traffic light turned orange and he didn't ease up. It switched to red. Oh...shoot...!!! We blasted through the red light, cars honking from all sides. I turned to look in the back seat. The kids asleep, Julie in the middle with a look of horror uttered "I have died a thousand times already".

Welcome to Brazil!

Once safely at our destination we stayed at Casa Zulu. A beautifully maintained and conceived tropical oasis with great hosts.

Casa Zulu - our digs for the week


Jack - relaxing!
Equipment was decent courtesy of Vela/ClubVentos. I settled into a daily routine:
  • Adjust the footstraps so that I could fit more than my little toe in there
  • Increase the harness line length at least 3 to 4 inches
  • Move the front lines back so they are not a foot apart
  • Then move the lines back another couple of inches!
  • Slack off the outhaul at least an inch
How was the sailing? Pretty high on the fun scale actually, with just a handful of others out. The first 4 days were 5.6 but still fun with little stunt ramps, best at mid-tide. The last two days were solid 4.5/4.7. Exactly the conditions I had hoped for. Here is a mini-movie taken the last day:


I rode JP freestyle waves (101L down to 84L) most of the week, choosing the thruster set up when available. I really struggled to stay with the wave off the top turn in the small waves and blamed it on the waves not having enough power but the last day I took the JP 83 Single Thruster and what a difference! It worked great.

2 comments:

  1. It looks very flippy there. Is it? Also, it is possible to eat pizza there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of flippin pizzas. Yep. Yup.

    ReplyDelete