Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Wave Sailing Tracks

Heading to Port A Sunday morning in driving rain with the temperature showing as 46F I figured I would have the place to myself. When I arrived, the rain stopped and I was plenty warm on the water. Maybe the warm water radiates heat or something.

I experimented with filming myself but it didn't really work out. Too zoomed out to get any of the hot radical wave sailing action. But then as I was fast forwarding through the footage I found the tracks I take quite interesting so edited it a little and made this short clip (had to try vimeo cos it's so zoomed out...).

Wave Sailing Tracks from Mike Campbell on Vimeo.

What is interesting? Well I sail one big triangle. Coming back in on a wave I make a LOT of ground upwind then lose it all in just 2 or 3 bottom turns. At one point (0:54) I'm slogging on the inside and you can see the current dragging me downwind. All of which I thought were pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment